Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Second Hand Clothes

Just something that was on my brain....

I used to be very turned off by second hand clothes for my kids. When I had my first in May 2004, of course, everything was brand new. Then my second daughter was born in December 2006. I still really didn't use my oldest's clothes because they were born in two different seasons. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my son that I started to change my feelings about second hand clothes. I met someone at this private library where I used to live. They used to do playdates every once in a while during the summer. This lady I met had a sister who had twin girls and was looking to get rid of some clothes. So we exchanged numbers, then I had my son, and I thought she forgot about me. Well she called me and brought the clothes to my house for me. I was super excited. It was really nice clothes too. Lots of Old Navy, Gap and The Limited, Too. Almost everything was name brand stuff. That was the beginning I guess. Anyway... What got me thinking about this, is that I was going through my son's clothes last weekend and noticed that unless someone else bought it, all his clothes are second hand. With the exception of one or two shirts that I bought when I had a $50 off $100 coupon from Old Navy. So, I'm pretty proud of myself. I've come a long way.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

I thought I would be like that too when I had kids. But I started getting second hand clothes when I was pregnant from Lynne's friend at work, I didn't even know the lady. Most of mason's clothes are hand me downs as well. Some are even from when his daddy was a baby! The only new stuff that i have bought are Saints gear, and even some of those things came from a consignment shop.

Kerrie said...

I think with me at the beginning, it was just easier to buy brand new. I was working and Ryan was working weird hours, so I thought I just didn't have the time to go from place to place looking for stuff. Even now it's a lot of hard work with three kids. If I didn't score at the one yard sale a few months back, JRC wouldn't have hardly any clothes.

Parkinson Family said...

totally was the same way! now im the same....everything is garage sale or hand me down and its all good with me! :)