This is a great activity for your kids. I remember in school, making homemade butter for our class Thanksgiving party. We'd put the heavy whipping cream in baby food jars (I had no idea what was in the jar at the time), and we'd all sit in a line outside and take turns shaking. Then we had homemade butter for our rolls. Now that my daughter is in Kindergarten, I started thinking about it and I think I might do it with my kids this holiday season. In fact, we have an ice cream maker that is a ball, and I can just put it in that and let my kids kick it around the backyard for a half hour. But you can use baby food jars too. In fact, if this is something you want to do regularly, it might be a good idea to put them in smaller jars like baby food jars, and freeze them and only have a little out at a time. I found a video on YouTube. I know I'm a visual person.
Heavy Whipping Cream
- Pour heavy whipping cream in clean jar. Shake for 20-30 minutes.
- Strain butter. Liquid is butter milk, so you can save it for later or for another recipe.
- Put butter back in jar, add water and shake.
- Strain butter. Do not keep this liquid.
- You can knead in salt if you like.
If you can't view the video, just go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rZ1JUMSmDk. Hope that helps April!